November Project #4 Spiced Brandied Cranberry Sauce
Step 1 Preparation:
- Sterilize 12 half-pint canning jars.
- Fill a canning pot with enough water to cover the jars with an inch of water, put on a simmer.
- Prepare your canning area with fresh lids and rings, tong-lifter, canning funnel etc.
- Rinse and sort 36 ounces of fresh organic cranberrys
Step 2 The Sauce
- 36 ounces organic cranberries
- 5 cups sugar
- 4 cups of water
- 20 whole allspice
- 16 whole cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups of apple brandy
Put the sugar, water and cranberries into the (6 quart) pan. Add the cinnamon sticks to the berries. Put the allspice and cloves into a tea ball to steep as the sauce cooks.
Bring the berries to a boil. It will only need occasional stirring. Skim the foam that forms for beautiful jars of sauce. Let the sauce cook at a rolling boil for ten minutes while the cranberries pop and soften.
Stir in the brandy and return the sauce to a boil. Turn off the heat. Remove the tea ball of spices and the cinnamon sticks. Pour the hot cranberry sauce into hot steralized jars and process for 15 minutes
Yield about 12 half pint jars.