This recipe has been adapted from the LAVENDER COOKBOOK by Sharon Shipley. In Ms Shipley’s book this is a sauce for Crab Cakes. Her recipe makes
a generous amount of sauce. The first time I made this I knew that the leftover sauce would be lovely as a dressing for cole slaw. With very little tweaking,
it is now a regular at my table when cabbage is garden ready. I make the dressing before I chop the vegetables so that the flavors have a chance to assert themselves
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (both sour cream and yoghurt will work)
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 2 Tablespoons fresh, chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 generous Tablespoon Stone Ground Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried culinary lavender buds, rubbed between the palms of the hands
- Sea Salt and fresh ground Pepper to taste.
In a small bowl, whisk everything, except the salt and pepper, to a smooth sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Use this dressing on thin sliced cabbage with any additional vegetables and fruit that you may normally use for cole slaw.